Yesterday was such a rainy and dreary day so I thought it would be the perfect opportunity to do some baking! The kitchen in my apartment is super small which makes cooking and baking difficult, but it’s been so long that I decided it would be worth it. 🙂
I adapted this yellow cake recipe from AllRecipes.com (thanks, David!) and the buttercream frosting was a blend of a few recipes I found online. The best part is that you can substitute any candy/cookie you like. I chose Oreo’s because they’re my favorite, but you can adapt this recipe and use anything you like. I hope you enjoy it!
First, the Oreos.
Then, smash them up so they look like this.
The dry ingredients…
Adding the egg yolks, one at a time.
The vanilla extract…
Then the dry ingredients get blended with the butter/sugar mixture…
And now the best part! Fold in the smashed up Oreos!
And into the baking pan…
While your delicious cupcakes are baking, get started on the frosting! Here’s the double-boiler melting the chocolate.
Once the chocolate is nice and melted, mix it in with the butter, powdered sugar and vanilla!
Ice your cupcakes and then you get these – YUM! They look amazing, don’t they. 🙂
So there you have it! You can find the recipe below!
- 10 Oreo cookies, crushed
- 1 cup butter
- 1 1/2 cups white sugar
- 8 egg yolks
- 3/4 cup milk
- 1 1/2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 2 cups cake flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C). Line your cupcake pans. Sift together the flour, baking powder and salt. Set aside.
- In a large bowl, cream together the butter and sugar until light and fluffy. Beat in the egg yolks one at a time, then stir in the vanilla. Beat in the flour mixture alternately with the milk, mixing just until incorporated. Then fold in the crushed Oreo. Pour batter into prepared pans.
Bake in the preheated oven for 20 minutes, or until tops spring back when lightly tapped. Cool 15 minutes before turning out onto cooling racks.
- 4 oz of melted chocolate
- 3 cups of powdered sugar
- 1 stick of butter
- 1 tbs of vanilla
- 1/8 tsp salt
- Melt the 4 oz. of chocolate in a double-boiler or in the microwave.
- While the chocolate is melting, mix together the butter, powdered sugar, vanilla and salt.
- When combined, fold in the melted chocolate mixture.
- Ice your cupcakes!