Randy and I have known since the beginning of our engagement that we wanted to have a wedding planner. The question was, in what capacity? Would we hire someone to be there for us every step of the way? Or would we just hire someone for help on the big day?
After speaking with many of my fellow brides, we determined that at the least, we’d definitely hire a day-of planner and would could consider hiring someone to help during the month or two before. After doing some research, I found that most planners are willing to create specific planning packages for each couple so we know that if we want flexibility, that’s possible, too.
Next week we’ll be meeting with a planner for the first time. My question is: what do you ask a planner? Obviously, we want our planner to be someone who’s a good fit for us and our wedding, but I’m a little stumped as to what to actually look for in a good planner. I don’t want it to seem like it’s a job interview – but that’s kind of what it is, isn’t it? Perhaps I’m thinking too much about this, but at the same time, I want the person who’s going to be managing my wedding on the big day to handle anything that comes their way!
Here are a couple of the questions I plan on asking:
- What do you think makes you and your team better at coordinating weddings?
- Will you be coordinating any other weddings the same weekend as ours?
- How many people on your team will be assisting us?
- How would you handle a disaster (God, forbid!) like the cake not showing up, or a DJ that skips out on us?
- What do you think is the most important thing when planning for a wedding?
- Do you offer design services in addition to your wedding planning packages?
Did you have a wedding planner for your big day? If so, how did you know they were the right planner for you?